FEATURED POST

Sri Venkatachala Mahathyam CONCLUSION ( wedding chapter 436-446)

436) BHAGAVATHKRUTHASHANMAASAAVADHIKAAGASTHYAASHRAMAVAASA PRATHIGNYAA Padmaavathyanugo Devo Brahmarudraadikairyuthaha Suvarnamukharee...

POPULAR POSTS

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Smt.D.K.Pattammal

Mr.Kannan had posted a comment informing me of the shocking demise of Smt.D.K.pattammal at the age of 90 in Chennai.She was a legendary vocalist whose sattvic bhava of carnatic music exalted the status of the carnatic field to tremendous heights.Every artiste is indebted to her and they have gained from her contribution to the field.The wealth and richness of her knowledge was packaged in devotion and presented with dedication.She had left a profound impression in the heart of every artiste and listener.
My father,film music director,late Sri.G.Aswathama's first ever playback singer was none other than Smt.D.K.Pattammal herself!My father always used to tell me how honoured he had felt to have the great vidushi sing his composition in a tamil film and many more after that.
When I was 10 years old,Smt.D.K.Pattammal had presided over my 25th silver jubilee concert as Baby Gayathri in Sri Parthasarathy Swami Sabha ,Triplicane, Chennai.On that occasion she had presented me a silver veena.
I had given my maiden performance in The Music Academy as Baby Gayathri during the year in which she was awarded the prestigious Sangitha Kalanidhi.

In 2002,I had listened to her rendition of Panchaashat Peetharupini in Karnataka Devagandhari.Her stress on the rishabham in the anupallavi,"Padmanabha Sahodari" simply took my breath away as I could visualise the Goddess.Like somebody obsessed I kept rewinding the tape to listen to that particular pause to recapture the bliss everytime!The song is available in the link:-
I was so overcome with emotion,I rang her up and went to see her immediately.I shared my experience and feelings with her.She listened to me with a smile ,like one would listen to a story narrated by a child!She then went on to sing my father's songs which she had sung in his music direction,she also told me,"Do you know Nithya sings these songs in her concerts?"
In the same year it so happened that Smt.Nithyashree Mahadevan and I met in Berlin where we had performed for a music festival and she sang my father's song for me in the auditorium canteen inbetween sound check.
Smt.D.K.Pattammal's Shyamala Dandakam,Ranganayakam in Nayaki are my favourites.Her "Eppadi Padinaro" and the neraval at "Karunai Kadal" is another moving experience,I am never tired of listening to the same!Her spiritually uplifting performances have given rise to "Brahmanandam"(sublime bliss) in innumerable music lovers like me.Her noble service through sublime music has transported her to the abode of God, where her soul must be resting!

4 comments:

RAFI-FRIENDS-COMMUNITY said...

Namaskaram
Yes it has been a privelege as well as a honor to know and hear Smt D.K.Pattammal. A truly humble simple and gracious lady whose melodious rendition of Dikshitar krithis is an experience once heard one can never forget.
The simple and delicate voice carried the banner of devotion in all her music. Indeed as her brother the Late Shri DKJ used to often say
-what we sing today are but small tenets compared to the grace and poetry of Smt D.K.Pattammal, whom he considered as his guru in some ways - with both siblings now no more we truly have lost two great souls who ensured Carnatic Music thrived in difficult and joyous times.....may their contributions be evergreen memories and may they reside in all our memories as inspiration for the future....
Kind prayers to our benevolent creator who has but called them home after a successful mission accomplished....
Namaskaram-
Nagendra and Nalini

E.Gayathri said...

Namasthe,The demise of Smt.D.K.Pattammal is a great loss for musicians and music lovers.It is a very sad day for me personally.Your sentiments are echoed by everybody.Thank you!Gayathri

mala said...

Dear madame,

Smt D.K.Pattammal was a music legend and demise of her is really a loss to music lovers, I can know your feeling and It is really a right moment that you have shared with us the experience you had with her. No doubt she summoned peace with "Santa Nilava Vendum". Before few years I happened to hear the voice of her in a independence day interview , Inspite of her age the voice was so magnetic.

she has born for music and has accomplished the task given to her perfectly. Her soul has now immensed with the almighty.
with love malathi

E.Gayathri said...

I share your sorrow and feelings.Love,Gayathri