Friday 26 March 2010

The making of "How to play veena?"




Above are work stills of the DVD shoot. Smt.Aruna Sivaramakrishna, Sri.Gopi (cameraman), Sri.Sivaramakrishna and myself.The DVD shoot yesterday by Navin Daswani's Super Audio Company on "How To Play Veena"was exciting. The entire day was spent on teaching the camera lens how to play the following on veena: sarali varisai, janta varisai, special veena gamaka exercises, thristhaayi practice (sa ri ga ma... on three octaves), variety of 'daatu varisai, alankarams, geethams, swarajathi and varnam was great to say the least. The entire coordination/concept and direction is by Sri. Sivaramakrishna (http://sitarsivaramakrishna.com/) and his wife, Smt. Aruna. They were so well-planned and fantastic in their directions! Recording in Karpagam Studios (so ancient!) was like stepping into my father, late Sri.G.Aswathama's time. The old studio with its high ceiling reminded me of my film-recording days when I was in my teens! Felt great!
A sense of fulfillment in reaching out to a great number of people at the same time(more so after the innumerable requests asking me to teach veena)! Performing is one thing, but to be able to reach out to guide aspiring veena practitioners is something else!!