Sunday, May 3, 2020

NAAYIKA BHAAVAM (ULTIMATE STAGE OF DEVOTION-EMOTION OF A LOVER)

THIS INCIDENT IS AN EXTRACT FROM THE BOOK NADICHE DEVUDU (WALKING GOD-TELUGU). THE BOOK CONTAINS EXPERIENCES OF DEVOTEEES'  WITH JAGADGURU PUJYA SRI CHANDRASEKHARENDRA SARASWATHI, THE 68TH ACHARYA OF SRI KANCHI KAMAKOTI PEETHAM. WHILE ALL THE INCIDENTS WERE VERY ENGROSSING, THIS PARTICULAR ONE STAYED IN MY HEART FOR THE NAAYIKA BHAVAM (LOVER'S EMOTION) WHICH  THE ARDENT DEVOTEE SRI KALLURI VENKATA SUBRAHMANYA DEEKSHITHULU FELT FOR MAHA PERIYAVA (REFERRED TO AS 'SRIVARU' IN TELUGU). I HAVE TRANSLATED THIS INTO ENGLISH.
         JAGADGURU PUJYASRI CHANDRASEKHARENDRA SARASWATHI SWAMI

Srivaru was travelling in Tamil Nadu. I had made it a habit to have His Darshan during summer holidays. One fine evening He started His discourse in Tamil.
"It is a natural phenomenon for human beings to take birth and to die....Kama (Manmadha) is the cause of their birth while Kala (Yama) is the cause of their death. If these two (Kama and Yama) did not function there would be no birth or death. If one wants to escape rebirth, he must surrender himself to someone who has conquered Kama (Manmadha). If one wants to escape death he must surrender himself to somebody who has punished Yama. There is somebody great who has done both these things and that is none other than Lord Shiva who had conquered Kama (Smarahara) and Yama (Mrithyunjaya). Lord Srikantha may not be easily accessed, but Lord Shiva is very easy to approach, let us all surrender to Him! Namah Paarvathee Pathaye Harahara Mahaadeva!"

I joined the chorus along with the crowd. Srivaru started to narrate another incident.

After the discourse Srivaru rested on the terrace of somebody's house. Vedic brahmins were keeping vigil downstairs. It was past midnight. I was unable to sleep. I sat in the verandah area, pining, anxious and eager for the Darshan of Srivaru. Gathering courage I tried to enter the house. One brahmin who was keeping vigil stopped me and said in tamil, "Periyavaa is resting, you cannot go upstairs."

Utterly disappointed I turned back empathizing the agony of separation of Gopikas from Lord Krishna. I sat down again and tried to read some poems of Pothana. I simply could not focus on anything. Feeling a sudden sense of determination I got up abruptly. I walked towards the steps leading to the terrace and quickly climbed five steps. The brahmin who was keeping watch was looking in some other direction and did not notice me. I felt as though somebody called my name. I leapt on to the terrace in a flash.

I found Srivaru lying on His side, His head resting on His arm. Careful not to make noise I quietly tiptoed and stood a few feet away from Him.

"Kaha (Who)?" Srivaru asked in Sanskrit. 

"It's me, Kalluri."

He asked immediately' " Nidraa Naayaathaa Kim? Naidaaghasthaapo Baadhathevaa? ( Unable to sleep? Because of the heat)?" 

"Na Naidaaghasthaapaha- Not because of heat. From this morning I have not been fortunate to see You or be with You for at least five minutes. I have been longing and pining.  During Darshan I need to be with You in private for at least five minutes. I appeal for Your Ekantha Darshan (private Darshan). Please bless me with what I have asked You."

"Thvayi Gopikaathva Mathi Dishya Mayi Krishnathvam Sambhaavya Kimapi Sambhaavitham Khalu-(Are you feeling like a  Gopika woman and seeing Lord Krishna in me)?"

I wondered how Srivaru had guessed!!

Srivaru continued" Adya Asthaabhi Sthamila Bhaashaayaam Prasangaha Kruthaha Thvam Bhaashaanabhignyaha. Kim Jaanaasi Maduktham- (today I spoke in Tamil, did you understand)?"

" Srivaru had willed me to understand. That's why I could understand." I replied.Even though I have toured along with Srivaru in many parts of Tamil Nadu, I could never understand Tamil and found the language to be very difficult to comprehend. But that day.... I was surprised, I could easily follow Srivaru's discourse!! Of course, that is His will ... that I should understand His discourse. 
Srivaru asked me to tell the synopsis of His discourse that day. I told, in a nutshell, in the form of this sloka-

" Janimruthi Virathirbha Vedithithvaam Rathipathi Shaashakameesha Kaalakaalam
Himagiri Thanayaa Dwitheeya Meedey Parama Dayaarasa Meesha Madwitheeyam."

Meaning- " Manmathaa is the cause of birth, Kaala (Yama) is the cause of death. These two were conquered by the one and only dispassionate Mrithyunjaya, Chandrasekhara, Lord Shiva! He gave half of His body to the daughter of the Himalayan King, He is cool, compassionate and benevolent. By surrendering oneself to Lord Shiva one can defeat birth and death." I completed my narration of the gist of Srivaru's speech.

Srivaru heard with a smile. His smile spread around me like the moonlight.

"You asked for at least five minutes of my private time, now tell me how many minutes have gone by?" asked Srivaru.

"I think 15 minutes are over..." I told hesitantly.

Srivaru didn't answer and seemed to be in deep thought.

Seeing Him lying on the bare floor I burst out, " Srivaru, you are sleeping on the floor, I am unable to bear it, my heart is in agony."

Srivaru said immediately, "Kim Nashrutham (Didn't you hear)?" 

'Kshithithala Shayanam Tharuthalavaasaha
Karathalabhikshaa, Kowpeenavanthaha, Khalu Bhaagyavanthaha.'

Meaning- 'Most prosperous and fortunate are spiritual seekers in loin cloths. A floor to sleep, a tree under which to rest, a lump of rice in the palm- who can be more fortunate and prosperous than this? A person possessing anything more than this cannot be as content.' Srivaru consoled me and sent me to rest.- Courtesy-SRI KALLURI VENKATA SUBRAHMANYA DEEKSHITHULU








No comments:

FEATURED POST

Tune O Rangeele